Monday, September 22, 2008

The Millennialist

It is becoming increasingly evident that post-modernism is dead.

It is not surprising; post-modernism reached its apex in the 1980s and has been slowly breaking off into shards of its former self since then. Besides, the average shelf-life of a period’s definitive qualities is usually only about a half century at most.

Because I spent so many good years of my adolescence and young adulthood enjoying self-referent art, anachronism, eclecticism, and the incessant questioning and disruption of tradition and authority, I watch the death of post-modernism with some wistfulness.

And I watch what’s coming with both trepidation and wonder.

I call it Millennialism--not because it reflects the expected Christian Millennium (it doesn’t), but because it occurs at the turn of the millennium, and it thinks of itself as the beginning of a new order of things.

I wish to define it in language easy to be understood, and I wish to comment on it in a variety of ways, including observations both judgmental and non-. I wish to mark its advent with an eye both celebratory and critical. I wish to approach it as a poet as well as a chronicler, a healer as well as an amputator, a participant as well as a by-stander. I wish to argue for its wonders and against its excesses.

I wish to engage in a pre-Millennialist dialog on the meaning of what’s happening, encouraging the good, quelling the bad, and debating which is which.

Here is what I see emerging, and what I believe will be some of the major hallmarks of the next half-century:

Ad hoc tribalism: Communities are no longer formed largely by geography, but electronically. Geographically formed groups still exist, but many times they are divided by a more precise division of interests than was ever possible before.

Neo-Rococo art: Whereas, formerly, Rococo art was intricate and ornate in appearance, now art is intricate and ornate in layers of accessible information.

Accepted lack of privacy and/or casual exhibitionism: There is little concern for lack of privacy, and there is an effort to display oneself globally. This includes the wide acceptance of intimate sexuality publicly displayed.

There are also some trends that I think may likely manifest themselves more thoroughly in the near future:

Disregard for innovation, and a tendency to accept innovation as an expected thing. This is in contrast to the wonder and fear of technology throughout much of the Twentieth Century.

Continued move toward post-literacy. Written communication will become increasingly irrelevant or unnecessary; filmed communication will become more important.

Democratization of the arts. More and more people will be able to create their own visual and performing art at increasingly high professional levels, using technology to replace skill.

Widespread acceptance of the overturning of traditional norms and values. During Modernism and Post-modernism, there were concerted efforts by the avant-garde to change accepted behaviors and aesthetics. There are no more taboos, except a return to established norms.

Science will have largely replaced religion as the arbiter of societal mores.

Increased polarization of large coalitions, joining against each other on issues such as religion, abortion, climate change, and sexuality. Previous issues, such as gender and race equity, will have been settled.

I am both optimistic and concerned. I see so much positive in many trends, while I decry what I see as avoidable decay.

But I also confess, I want to the be first to document it.

We are in a new age. I hope we do something good with it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, Jeff! Welcome to the blogosphere. Look forward to reading (and hopefully, intelligently commenting on) your blog.

Great and thoughtful initial salvo. I feel very apprehensive about the future. Part of it is being in an industry (newspaper journalism) that used to be held in higher regard in the previous century and is now being hammered from all sides by this Millennialism you speak of. Technology, to name one thing, is truly a blessing and a curse in our line of work.

For example, I'm writing this comment from my couch on my laptop with my wireless Internet access. That's all fine and good, but if I'm a consumer, why would I need to hold a newspaper when I can do this?

Anyway, there is stuff to look forward to certainly. And I hope our leaders will take hold of any optimism that results from that and help us rise above the cynicism that engulfs us now.

Good luck with your online journey. I look on with great interest...

P.S. -- and in a shameless plug, check out our family blog:

http://justyouramericanfam.blogspot.com/

stacy said...

Jefe- Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I hope your busted wrist won't impede your ability to post. I think I told you riding a bike was bad for you! Anyway, welcome to the club!